Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Now it gets interesting...

Back to production days... it just feels good to finally have a project passing to "Live" status, and seeing everything working (nearly) perfect.

So, it's clean-up time. We have to clean up the mess we did with our DEV & TEST environments, which are currently so messed up that the easiest is to start from scratch. So, I've asked the System Engineers to put me up an extra VM on that half-a-million-euros HP IA64 box to cleanly separate DEV from TEST and be able to promote stuff to PROD in 2 hours instead of 3 days, and their answer was:

"Well, we just don't know how to do that."

Isn't it great? Invest a million euros on top-of-the-notch machines, capable of god-knows-how-many GigaFlops and don't train your Engineers. Any "mildly" complex thing I ask they have to refer to HP to get it done (OK, I admit that adding a VM might not be a "mildly complex" task).

They asked HP how to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly, because they couldn't do it on a per-profile basis, only at the box level.
I see that I should have continued my forays into Sys Admin instead of turning PM. Once again my career path seems to have a taken a wrong turn somewhere... ;-)

Nuno

No comments: