Thursday, November 25, 2004

Is this how it's supposed to work?

Working here is getting closer and closer to surrealism. This one I'm adding to my collection of absolutely unnecessary red-tape.

We've just implemented the surveillance & alert mechanism for two of the systems we're taking into production this week, which sends nice e-mail messages in case something goes wrong and notifies the operators via MQSeries.

Now we're trying to send those alerts to a MS Exchange shared mailbox. No problems here, right?

Wrong. Mailboxes are not given, by default, a SMTP address. So, we can't send SMTP mail to them. I've asked the Helldesk to create the SMTP address, fully described what it was going to be used for, etc. No news for the past 24 hours, so I decided to call them.

I'm still trying to understand why, but it seems I need approval from the Corporate Communication department to get my e-mail alerts. Hello? Anybody there? These are e-mail alerts about our archive and output management systems and I need approval from Corporate Communication?

Someone has a very sick mind around here...

No comments: